Fall is definitely near, but I am not ready to say goodbye to all of the fresh summery zucchini that seems to keep lingering at the markets. Inspired by my family's favorite weeknight meal--grilled pizza--I incorporated grilled veggies on a fresh garlicky crust that was a snap to prepare. The secret is to pre-grill the pizza crust and veggies separately for a few minutes, combine them, then throw the finished pizza back on the grill to finish off the crust. It is convenient to stop by the local pizza joint for a fresh dough ball, or there are some great frozen ones--I happened to use one from Whole Foods for this recipe and there wasn't a piece left.
- Preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Chop veggies, drizzle with olive oil and salt + pepper.
- Roll out pizza dough, drizzle with olive oil and chopped garlic.
- Grill veggies and pizza separately until veggies are almost done and pizza is slightly toasted.
- Take off the grill and spoon on the roasted red pepper hummus--or any flavor you like! Layer veggies across the pizza. Throw the assembled pizza back on the grill for several minutes--until pizza is browning at the edges. Take the pizza off of the grill and sprinkle with scallions. Delicious.