I love those times in the kitchen when some of the best flavors of two completely different cuisines come together to make deliciousness. This recipe is the amazing fusion of France and Asia. In this case, the classic French salad gets dressed in five spice powder, sweet sake wine, and wasabi. The tuna steaks are marinated in grated ginger and mirin. The greens are covered with a sweet, subtly spicy wasabi vinaigrette. My seven year old, who ordered tuna all over France, was skeptical at first. This salad converted her to the beauty of fusion.
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Sweet sake wine; also called rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Two 6 to 8-ounce Ahi tuna steaks
- Wasabi Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Juice of 1 lime or 1/4 cup clear vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or toasted sesame oil
- 8 ounces French green beans, blanched
- 2 teaspoons brined capers, drained
- 8 pitted kalamata olives
- 2 large eggs, medium-boiled and quartered
- 1 small Romaine lettuce heart, thinly shredded crosswise
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
For the tuna: Whisk together the mirin, ginger and soy until combined. Add the tuna, toss well to coat, and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
For the wasabi vinaigrette: Whisk together the soy sauce, wasabi paste and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking constantly until combined. Season with the sugar, salt and white pepper and stir well.
For the salad: Remove the tuna from the marinade, and sprinkle the five-spice powder and sea salt over all sides. Heat a griddle over high heat. Add the oil and heat until rippling, and then sear the tuna in the hot pan, 1 minute per side. Let the tuna rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.
To serve, toss the green beans, mixed greens, tomatoes, olives in a bowl. Divide servings and place sliced tuna over the top of each serving. Sprinkle with capers, add eggs and drizzle dressing evenly over the salads.